What is a Social Enterprise?
A social enterprise is a business, either non-profit or for-profit, that builds positive social and/or environmental goals into its operational frame- work and bottom line. Often referred to as “blended returns”, a social enterprise looks to maximize its positive social and environmental impacts while also achieving a profit.
Methods for achieving positive social and environmental impacts can take many forms within a social enterprise. Profits may be entirely reinvested in the company’s mission. Production may be situated strategically in order to provide jobs for communities or for particular populations. A portion of profits may be reinvested in communities and organizations or used to fun specific projects.
Our Social Enterprise Friends
- B Lab is a non-profit who’s vision is that one day all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the Best for the World®
- B Lab is building a global community of Certified B CorporationsTM who meet the highest standards of verified, overall social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability
Centre for Social Innovation
- The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is a coworking space, community,
and launchpad for people who are changing the world
- Their mission is to spark and support new ideas that are tackling the social, environmen
tal, economic and cultural challenges faced today
- We are proud to call CSI our headquarters. Come visit us at 215 Spadina!